Now that Dan and I are done watching Breaking Bad (62 episodes in 26 days!), I feel like I have so much more time on my hands. More time to bake, more time to blog, more time to do just about anything. I have never been that hooked on a show before but it was so, so good. I’m really sad that there are no more Breaking Bad episodes to watch now. In between the binge watching this past weekend, I did find some time to make these chocolate peanut butter monster eyeballs. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I always love making festive treats during this time of year. Especially when they involve chocolate and peanut butter.
These chocolate peanut butter monster eyeballs are fairly easy to make- sweet peanut butter balls are dipped in melted chocolate, leaving an oval shaped opening at the top of each ball. A mini M&M is then placed in the center of each opening to create the appearance of an eyeball. Given my affinity for all things chocolate and peanut butter, I loved snacking on these monster eyeballs all weekend long. In my opinion, festive Halloween treats never tasted so good!
- 1½ cups creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- Mini M&Ms
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until all of the ingredients come together, about 2-3 minutes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with wax paper. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the peanut butter mixture and roll into small balls. Place each peanut butter ball onto the prepared baking sheet. Stick a toothpick in the top of each ball. Freeze for 45 minutes (or refrigerate for at least an hour).
- Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 60 seconds then stir well. Continue to microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer. Holding each peanut butter ball by the toothpick, dip it in the chocolate, leaving a round or oval opening on top of the ball. You might need to gently move the ball from side to side in order to get the shape you want. Let the excess chocolate drip off the peanut butter ball and then place it back on the wax paper. Repeat with the remaining peanut butter balls.
- Remove the toothpick from each ball. Put a dab of chocolate on one side of an M&M then place it on the ball, covering the hole where the toothpick had been. Refrigerate the peanut butter balls for at least one hour before serving.