Happy Monday! I can’t believe that Halloween is less than two weeks away. Seriously where does the time go? This week I thought I would share a few more Halloween-inspired desserts in order to get ready for the holiday. For some reason, I am much more creative with my Halloween baking than I am at any other time of the year. It is just so fun to create Halloween cupcakes. In the past I have made Spider Cupcakes and Bat Cupcakes, both of which were really cute and a big hit with everyone that I shared them with. And then this weekend I made Chocolate Skeleton Cupcakes, along with one other cupcake recipe that I will share later in the week.
You really can use any cupcake recipe you want to make these Skeleton Cupcakes. The recipe I used, which I linked to below, just happens to be my favorite one-bowl chocolate cupcake recipe. It is the same recipe I used to make all of the other Halloween cupcakes on my blog. But feel free to make vanilla cupcakes or any other flavor of your choice. Personally I would choose chocolate nine times out of ten. To draw the skeleton’s body and face, I used Wilton frosting pens that I picked up at a local craft store. Although I haven’t tried it, I would think you could also melt some chocolate and white chocolate chips and pipe the chocolate onto the cupcakes using a plastic bag or squeeze bottle. Enjoy!
- 1 batch chocolate cupcakes (I used this recipe)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- White frosting pen
- Black frosting pen
- 12 large marshmallows
- To make the ganache, combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a heat-proof bowl set above a pot of barely simmering water. Allow the chocolate chips to melt completely, stirring occasionally throughout the process. Do not let the chocolate burn. Once melted and smooth, remove from the heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Draw a smiley face on each marshmallow with the black frosting pen.
- Take the cupcakes and dip them into the bowl of chocolate ganache one at a time, making sure to completely cover each top. Let the excess ganache drip off. Place a marshmallow on top of each cupcake, holding down in place for a few seconds. Allow the ganache to set. Draw a skeleton body on each cupcake with the white frosting pen.