The inspiration to make these Thick and Chewy Toffee Brownies came from my boyfriend. Last month he spotted a bag of toffee bits at the supermarket and asked if I would bake something with them. I happily agreed and put the bag of toffee bits into my shopping cart. Believe it or not, my boyfriend only eats a small percentage of everything I bake and cook. He is one of the pickiest eaters I know. You know how chocolate and peanut butter is my favorite combination ever? Well, he doesn’t like peanut butter. He insists that I frost a few of my favorite Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with plain vanilla buttercream just for him. He also won’t go near a number of vegetables and anything white or creamy (cream cheese, mozzarella cheese or ranch dressing, just to name a few).
I usually give my boyfriend a hard time about his eating habits. As someone who loves food, I can’t really understand how one can be so picky. He is missing out on so much! But I still like to make things that I know he will enjoy too. Enter these Thick and Chewy Toffee Brownies. They are truly made for all of the rich brownie lovers out there, including myself. And yes, my boyfriend loved these brownies too!
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Continue heating in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. Remove from the microwave and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add the granulated sugar and stir until combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated after each addition. Stir in the flour and then the toffee bits, mixing until just combine. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Allow the brownies to cool completely on a cooling rack.