I can’t believe that summer is almost over. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the 4th of July. Where does the time go? One thing is for sure, I am taking advantage of all of the fresh berries while they are still in season. I buy so many that I actually have a hard time going through them all before they go bad. I can’t help it- I can’t resist fresh strawberries and fresh blueberries, especially when they are on mega-sale at the supermarket.
Earlier this summer, I made this Strawberry Spinach Salad which quickly became my favorite summer salad. But this Roasted Berry and Brie Salad has definitely given that salad a run for its money. I love that the berries are roasted in the oven, making them really juicy and full of flavor. I also love the creamy brie cheese but if you are not a fan you could also use feta or another cheese or your choice. Enjoy!
- 12 oz. strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved lengthwise
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 5-6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 oz. brie, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Raspberry or balsamic vinaigrette
- To make the roasted berries, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the berries in an even layer of the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the berries. Add the sugar and lightly season with salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat the berries. Spread them in an even layer once again. Bake until soft and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the baby spinach plates to serving plates. Top with pieces of brie, slivered almonds and the roasted berries. Serve with vinaigrette immediately.