I hope everyone had a good 4th of July. I just got back from a long weekend at the Cape where the temperatures were well over 90 degrees almost everyday. It was definitely good beach weather, if anything too hot at times. And I only came home with a small sunburn, which is a definite plus given my extremely sensitive skin. Since I was away from my own kitchen, I didn’t make any new recipes for the holiday, but I do have some recipes from the week before that I am excited to share.
I first made these Almond Flour M&M Brownies a few weeks ago and have loved them ever since. For a long time I have been meaning to experiment with almond flour and other gluten-free options. While I do not have a gluten-free diet, I know many people who do for various health reasons. These brownies are incredibly rich and chewy. The instant expresso powder gives them a rich kick and you can’t even tell that this recipe uses almond flour instead of regular all-purpose flour.
Almond Flour M&M Brownies
- 5 oz semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant expresso powder
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup mini M&M's
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides in order to lift the brownies after baking. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the semisweet chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Add the cocoa powder and instant expresso powder. Whisk until combined. Set aside the bowl to cool slightly.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the chocolate mixture to the bowl and whisk until fully combined. Finally add the almond flour. Mix until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the mini M&M's over the brownie batter. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.