This past weekend was Father’s Day which meant that I couldn’t show up at my house without a batch of cookies. My dad loves cookies. Like father, like daughter. Before heading home, I made these Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies. Coconut oil is a really trendy ingredient right now so I was especially eager to try it out. Prior to this weekend, I had only ever used coconut oil in my hair and as a skin moisturizer. I love the smell- it always makes me feel like I am in the tropics. In addition to the benefits to your hair and skin, coconut oil also adds great flavor to baked goods. I am not always the biggest coconut fan, but I loved these cookies.
My boyfriend is also not much of a coconut fan. In order to get him to eat the cookies, I didn’t tell him that they had coconut oil in them. I only mentioned that there might be a secret ingredient. Turns out my boyfriend loved them too. The coconut flavor is present, yet not overwhelming. Perfect for both the coconut lovers and the coconut haters.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the coconut oil and sugar for 1-2 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and coconut. Mix until light and creamy. With the mixer on slow speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the bowl. Mix until just combined. Stop the mixer and gently fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets (my cookie dough balls were approximately 1½ inches). Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.