As if starting a new job was not enough, I also moved into a new apartment just over a month ago. It has certainly been a busy month. Throw in a friend’s wedding in Virginia and Easter weekend with the family, and you can see why there haven’t been many blog posts recently. It’s not that I have stayed out of the kitchen completely, just that I haven’t had as much time to photograph and share the recipes that I make. But now that everything is starting to slow down, I finally have more time to dedicate to my blog and my love of sharing recipes. I wanted my first recipe back to be a good one and these cookies are just that. In fact, I have already made them three times since I first came across the recipe just a few weeks ago.
Brown butter, in addition to the Nutella and sea salt, give these cookies so much flavor. I love the combination of ingredients so much that I can’t help but make this recipe over and over again. It is that good. And as a bonus, it also might be the best smelling cookie dough that I have ever made.
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more for sprinkling on top of cooled cookies
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1¾ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Fill a small plastic bag with Nutella. Seal the bag and snip off one corner. Pipe small dollops of Nutella onto the baking sheet, about 1½ tsp each. Repeat until you have about 20 dollops of Nutella. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and allow the dollops to set for at least 2 hours.
- Place the butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Allow the butter to melt completely. Continue to cook the butter, whisking constantly, until it bubbles and becomes brown in color. Removed the brown butter from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, combine the cooled brown butter and sugar. Mix on medium speed until light and creamy. Add the egg, followed by the egg yolk, mixing until fully incorprated. Add the vanilla and greek yogurt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stop the mixer and add the chocolate chips. Gently fold the chocolate chips into the cookie dough with a spatula. Allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Scoop cookie dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons in size. Make a small indentation in the cookie dough to make a bowl shape. Place a dollop of Nutella in the center and seal the edges to form a ball of cookie dough once again. Place prepared balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Sprinkles the cookies with additional sea salt. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.