I had this recipe ready to post last friday morning, but given what was going on in my hometown of Boston, it just didn’t seem right to do so. As much as I love sharing recipes, there were a lot more important things going on just miles away from my own apartment. And to be honest, I would have had a hard time pulling myself away from the television even for just a little while that day. There are times when I complain about living in Boston, really just during the cold and snowy winter months. But the truth is that Boston is my home and I could not imagine living anywhere else. My heart brakes for all of the victims of the Marathon bombings. But I am also glad that the worst is behind us and our city can finally move on.
That being said, I am really excited to share these Brown Butter Sprinkle Cookies with you today. They are really fun cookies because they are full of color from both the mini M&M’s and the sprinkles. I love sprinkles. Oh, and there is also brown butter in these cookies. I may have mentioned my love of brown butter once or twice in the past. One additional note about these cookies- I found that the cookie dough was a lot more crumbly than what I am used to working with. Although I was unsure of how these cookies would bake in the oven, they ended up turning out just fine.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups mini M&M's
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Continue to cook butter until it becomes it bubbly and brown in color. Be careful not to burn the butter. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Using a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg, followed by the egg yolk, beating until fully incorporated after each addition. Add the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Turn off the mixer. Add the mini M&M's and sprinkles. Gently fold with a spatula until combined.
- Scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown in color. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.